Tuesday, November 18, 2008

REALLY Low Fat Strawberry Cheesecake

I've been really trying to cut down on the calories but It's so hard to do with my sweet tooth. I almost always crave for dessert. I often just chew on fruits to curb my sugar attack but today I needed something more.

I made a cheesecake. You must think I must be totally out of my head to even consider that a term that contains the words "Cheese" and "Cake" could ever be low fat. I'm here to prove you wrong. I made a Strawberry Cheesecake without cheese and strawberries.

What you need:

1 package strawberry flavored low-fat, sugar-free pudding mix. [One that asks you to mix 750 ml (3cups) to it]
1 cup of low-fat yogurt, hung for 2-3 hours or just use a really creamy variety without the hanging
1 cup of muesli
1 tbs melted butter or yogurt whey
1 tbs powdered gelatin
1 bar strawberry fruit bar (optional)

What you need to do:

1. Prepare pudding as per instructions only one major modification: reduce the 750 ml(3cups) of milk to 500(2cups) ml of milk. You need to get a really thick and extra sweet pudding. Leave aside to cool.

2. Crush the muesli in a bowl and pour melted butter or whey (makes it slightly soggy but if your really cutting down this is the way to go) and line in a clip cake tin or quiche tin. Freeze for 10 minutes.

3. Puree the cooled pudding with the yogurt and pour into a mixing bowl.

4. Dissolve gelatin in hot water and pour into the pudding mix, stir vigorously. Pour over muesli lined tin. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours till firm and set.

5. Cut pieces of the strawberry bar for garnish.(optional)

6. Cut into REALLY large slices and enjoy; you can afford to!


The pudding should look this thick:

q-DSC02084



And that's the final cheesecake:

q-DSC02094


q-DSC02104

q-DSC02105

6 comments:

bluepolka said...

yum man ! and the best part is?? unlike the others here....I GET TO TASTE IT....LEMME AT IT

Unknown said...

Wen r u inviting me at ur place yaar i am ready to come. By the way i liked the cake ka look. Must be really yummy. U can make strawbeery cake, tofu ke bhujias and tat fruitsalad for me anythng new will also be welcomed.
Bol kab aaoooooo....

Shaheen said...

Aalia, your stuff looks amazing. Sanaa is just raving about it and I feel like grabbing a slice. Now there are two reasons why I want Sanaa to come back to this side of town.

I don't know why but I've always been averse to stuff made with gelatin. Reminds me of chinagrass halwa my nani makes (good to have, but only occasionally). But I need to research a bit more on this and see where it takes me.

plutosangel said...

@Disha: Thanks Disha! I'm really flattered. Kabhi bhi aa jao.. just tell me when and I'll cook up something good! :)

@Shaheen: Thanks Shaheen. Yes I agree Gelatin does make it a bit like Chinagrass pudding but if you use it in small quantities u can avoid that from happening. However I admit since I tried to make this so low fat, it turned out quite firm but if you want a creamier finish its a good idea to substitute the yogurt with a cup of whipped cream and it would taste just like a regular cheesecake. But then you may need a bit more gelatin to hold it together.

About the Cake Stand; yes it is a cake stand and I got it real cheap! believe it or not, the American Dollar Store(Nirmal Lifestyle Mulund, phoenix mills etc)is excellent for cheap crockery. I got this one from there.

Haley said...

Hello! I just found your blog and love it! You have so many amazing recipes, and they are all so creative!!

I would love to write about this cheesecake on our blog! If you are interested send me an email at: haley@keyingredient.com

Thanks!
Haley, KI Blogger

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.