Friday, November 28, 2008

Sun dried Tomatoes

Have you ever died tomatoes in the sun? We'll I have and its fun!

I dried some a while back and I have to tell you I loved the results.The tomato miraculously transforms into a chewy candy which has a strikingly intense flavor. It tasted great as a filling for the bread I made and also as a dip.

Its quite simple to do and once you do it this way, you don't need to buy the oil soaked ones from a store.

If you stay in a sunny place (I do, its even hot in winter) you can do this with such ease its not even funny. But if you don't you can use an oven to speed up the process.

What you need:

Large tomatoes, as many as you want
Salt
baking sheet/tray
Cheesecloth
The Sun or an Oven

What you need to do:

1. Slice the tomatoes into very thin slices and lay them onto the baking tray(s)
2. Sprinkle salt all over them
3. Cover with the cheesecloth
4. Leave to dry where there is direct sunlight
5. It takes about a 7-11 days depending on the sun but you can use an oven after drying them out for a while. Also make sure to refrigerate at night.


I know, they look fab. They taste even better
Sundried toamtoes

1 comments:

Shaheen said...

Now I'm inspired to make some!