Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cola Chicken

I came across this on Spark Recipes and actually read the ingredients twice. Who would ever want to make chicken in Cola??!!

But I love experimenting, So I went for it.

The original recipe is quite basic, has just three ingredients but just reading them make me shift about my seat. I needed something more. So I modified it as I usually do and I loved the results. This is supposed to be a Southern American/Texan type dish, but honestly it tasted too Chinese-y to me and it paired brilliantly with stir fried egg-noodles.


What you need:

1 full chicken cut into curry pieces ( about 1 kg)
1 (330 ml) can of Coca Cola/ Pepsi ( I used diet)
¼ cup barbecue sauce
¼ cup of tomato ketchup
2-3 flakes of garlic, sliced
1-2 tsp chili flakes
2 tbsp cornflour
Salt and pepper as per taste

What to do:

1. Rub salt all over the chicken and let it sit for about 15-20 min
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
3. Place the chicken in a nonstick roasting tin
4. Mix all the other ingredients together and pour over the chicken
5. Bake covered with foil for 1 hour. Then bake uncovered for 20-30 min more till sauce is thick and chicken is cooked.



cola chicken

2 comments:

Shaheen said...

Cola chicken? I like how adventurous you are!

Eat4Fun said...

Coca cola chicken! Nice! I've heard of coca colar used in Chinese soy sauce chicken, coca cola used to cook ham and coca cola use in a Mexican pork dish. Who knew coca cola was a versatile cooking ingredient! :-)