Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Wholemeal English Muffins

I always look out for something interesting to make for breakfast because there are such limited nutritious breakfast choices. At my place It's generally eggs or cereal and it can really get monotonous for me.

These Wholemeal English Muffins (I pointed out the differences between the British name and the American name in my last post) are just so easy to make and can be eating with anything you want. I made these all the more nutritious by using a blend of soy, oat, barely and whole grain wheat flour another one of my concoctions.

What you need: (Makes 4 small sized muffins)

1 cup of wholegrain flour/ or you can experiment with different flours like I did.
5 gm fast-action dried yeast
A pinch of sugar
Salt to taste
water to bind

What to do:

1. Prepare yeast with warm water and sugar.
2. Mix flour with salt and place in a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Add the fermented yeast and knead. Add water as per requirement.
3. Keep aside for an hour in a dry place.
4. When doubled in size punch back and form four balls with them and leave aside for another 30
5. A little trick that I use: I microwave the ball shaped dough for 1 minute on 60% power instead of waiting for them to rise again. It's a smart thing to do, it saves you time and you can be certain that you wont have partially uncooked muffins.
6. Heat a griddle with some pan spray or just a hint of olive oil and cook on both sides, covered; for about 7 minutes till well done. Do not let the griddle get too hot or the muffins will burn from the outside while remaining raw from the inside.
7. Cut in the center and serve with anything you like.


So how do you like them?

Sweet: (Nutella filling)
Sweet Eng Muffin

or

Salty: (omelet filling)
Salty eng muffin

4 comments:

bluepolka said...

kya pacao hain......u only eat all this.....ANGREZ KI AULAAD

anudivya said...

Wow I love this, and esp since it is healthy! Very nice

plutosangel said...

@Anudivya:Thanks:)
@bluepolka:LOL! :)

Unknown said...

The combination of flours you used does sound very nutritious. Both sandwiches sound delicious; I'd take them both for breakfast :). I'd like to post your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested!

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com