Friday, January 16, 2009

Organic, vegan, low fat, paper thin PIZZA!

I hope you die hard sloppy-joe lovers don't hate me for desecrating the full fat, soft, cheesy, deep pan pizza.

All my experiments generally start with a craving and this time it was pizza. I created something that is remotely close to a pizza as we know it but is still technically a pizza.

It was delicious in an organic, vegan, low fat way and it was a fun eat.

DSC02855

What you need: (for two large pizzas)

(For the base)
2 cups wholewheat/ grain flour
5 gm fresh yeast
1 tsp EVOO
salt
water

(For the topping)
1 cup grated firm tofu (buy it or make you own)
¼ cup shredded cabbage
¼ cup sliced mushroom
2 tbs peas
¼ cup chopped bell pepper
1 red onion finely chopped
2 flakes finely garlic chopped
1 green chilli chopped
EVOO to saute
Oregano and salt to taste

(For the sauce)
2 tbs barbeque sauce
¼ cup tomato ketchup
¼ cup tomato puree/paste
fresh basil leaves, torn
2 tbs water

What to do:

(Base)
1. Mix all ingredients for the base and work into smooth dough. Leave to rise in a drought free place.

(Topping)
2. Heat evoo in a wok. Stir fry vegetables starting with garlic, chillies and onions then adding the rest (except for the tofu). Add salt and oregano as per taste. Stir fry for only about a minute.

(Sauce)
3. In the same wok add the ingredients for the sauce and simmer for a minute.

(Assemble)
4. Punch out the risen dough and roll out till paper thin. Top with sauce, then vegetables and sprinkle the grated tofu all over. Bake in a 180°C preheated oven for 20 minutes then reduce heat to 100°C and bake for 20 minutes more till the base is crisp.

DSC02858

3 comments:

Shaheen said...

Oh this looks and sounds good. You are really a conscious eater and hats off to you for that! Looking at the 40 minutes in the oven, I'm a bit startled - I usually bake it for 15-20 minutes. I'm guessing that is probably because you want the base to dry out and attain that crispness.

Shaheen said...

And I'm waiting for you to bake from your new book - Baked! Bookstore doesn't have it and it pinches me to pay double the amount - hoping I can get my cousins to get me a bunch of books!

plutosangel said...

Hi Shaheen..I've been so busy off late that I've been scheduling posts! this one is kinda old actually... I made a batch of cupcakes from baked.. they were AWESOME!! I'll fb message the recipe to you cause its scheduled really far into march!