Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Huevos Rancheros



I love Mexican food. The spices, colors and textures are quite similar to Indian food and that's why the ingredients are quite easy to find in my kitchen.


What I love is the liberal use of tomatoes which gives so much body to every dish.

I Made this great Mexican style breakfast dish today with a few modifications.


What you need: (serves 1)

2 med. sized tomatoes; peeled and finely chopped

1/2 an onion, chopped finely

1 green chili; finely chopped

1-2 cloves of garlic; peeled and chopped

1/4 tsp dried basil

1/4 a green bell pepper; finely diced

1/2 tsp of red chili powder

1/8 tsp of cumin seeds

2 tsp of tomato ketchup

1 egg

Salt to taste


What to do:

1.On a med-high flame, Pour a bit of olive oil in a wok and stir fry the onions,green chili, pepper and garlic for a bit put in the cumin seeds. Let it soften.

2. Add the tomatoes, basil, ketchup, red chili powder and salt and let it roast for a bit.

3. Cover and cook on a low flame for 10 min or so till soft and thick.

4. Put the sauce in a plate and top with a fried egg.


So that's all! I had mine with a nice refreshing glass of OJ. what a way to start the day. :)

2 comments:

Shaheen said...

I like Mexican too! I wish I had the time and inclination to make myself a hearty breakfast every morning. *sigh*

plutosangel said...

I don't have the time either.. just the inclination *wink wink*